1. SOAP stands for Simple Object Access Protocol and REST stands for Representation State Transfer.
2. SOAP is a protocal and Rest is an architectural style.
3. SOAP permits XML data format only but REST permits different data format such as Plain text,
HTML, XML, JSON etc
4. SOAP defines standards to be strictly followed but rests doesnot define to much standards like soap.
5. SOAP uses WSDL (web service definition language) for describing the functionality offered by a web service
and REST uses WADL (Web Application Description Language) for describing the functionality offered by a web service.
6. SOAP requests send using HTTP POST method because SOAP request is formally big and can not not be send in
query string, REST requests can send using both HTTP GET and POST and due to which GET request can be cached here.
7. SOAP requires more bandwidth and resource than REST so avoid to use SOAP where bandwidth is very limited.
8. SOAP can’t use REST because it is a protocol but REST can use SOAP web services because it is a concept and can use any protocol like HTTP, SOAP
9. SOAP is less preferred than REST.