HTML5 is the latest standard for HTML.
HTML5 was designed to replace both HTML 4, XHTML, and the HTML DOM Level 2.
It was specially designed to deliver rich content without the need for additional plugins. The current version delivers everything from animation to graphics, music to movies, and can also be used to build complicated web applications.
HTML5 is also cross-platform. It is designed to work whether you are using a PC, or a Tablet, a Smartphone, or a Smart TV.
Some rules for HTML5 were established:
- The need for external plugins (like Flash) should be reduced
- Error handling should be easier than in previous versions
- Scripting has to be replaced by more markup
- HTML5 should be device-independent
- The development process should be visible to the public
A Minimum HTML5 Document
Below is a simple HTML5 document, with the minimum of required tags:
<title>Title of the document</title>
Content of the document……
HTML5 – New Features
Some of the most interesting new features in HTML5 are:
- The <canvas> element for 2D drawing
- The <video> and <audio> elements for media playback
- Support for local storage
- New content-specific elements, like <article>, <footer>, <header>, <nav>, <section>
- New form controls, like calendar, date, time, email, url, search